BioWheels // Cincinnati // 2015 Group Rides
Ride Hotline // 513.861.2453 (BIKE)
See different ride rankings at bottom of page.
GROUP ROAD RIDES (Beginning April 20th) :
Location: BioWheels, 6810 Miami Avenue, Madeira, Ohio 45243
Ride Leaders: Scott Fratianne, Mitch Graham, and Shelly Kissel
Ride Description: This is a challenging 26 mile ride through the roads in and around Indian Hills. It is a great recovery ride for those that pushed it hard over the weekend and is a great ride for intermediate riders looking to push it a little. We have two speed groups, each with a posted maximum speed. Both men and women are invited to participate. The groups are:
- “A” group which has a maximum speed of 25MPH on the flats and overall average speed of 20 to 22MPH with hills.
- “B” group which has a maximum speed of 21MPH on the flats and an overall average speed of 16 to 18MPH with hills.
The B group is a no drop ride, meaning that we will regroup at major intersections and at the top of all hill climbs. This ride is also set up that if someone starts in the “A” group and finds it too fast they can easily roll back to the “B” group. All rides will start and end at BioWheel’s parking lot. Helmet is required. Headlight and tail light is recommended. Rain, the threat of rain or wet roads will cancel the B ride. Monday ride loop map HERE
Indian Hills Women’s-Only Ride Mondays 6:15PM
Ride Leader: Shelly Kissel
Ride Description: This is a WOMENS ONLY ride that is part of the Monday night Tour de Indian Hills. The average speed for this ride will be 14 to 15 MPH. This ride will start at BioWheels, head down Camargo, proceed around Hyde Park and into Ault Park, and that back up to BioWheels. The total route is 23 miles and has a few easy climbs.
Helmet Required. Headlight and Tail light recommended. Rain or wet road cancels ride.
Parking at BioWheels is limited. Overflow parking available in neighborhood adjacent to shop towards Sellman Park.
Class A advanced ride. There are many rides in the city advertised “no-drop,” this ride is advertised as “yes-drop.” An extremely challenging mid-week ride featuring some of the strongest road racers in the region. There are 2 short wait points at the top of the long climbs. Speed in the mid-to-upper 20-mph range on the flats. Rotating paceline most of the way with short turns on the front. Rain or shine. 1700 feet of climbing.
Wednesday route map HERE
Class A advanced ride starting first Saturday in April going through October // 7:30am // Class A (20+ mph avg) //120 minute ride. Start location: BioWheels parking lot on corner of Miami and Camargo. Rain or shine. Saturday route map HERE
NOTE: We ask that riders bring a blinking taillight for the early and late season rides.
Group Road Ride definitions:
Class A – Advanced (Yes Drop): Very fast, very organized, no wait – except for a short wait at top of the big climbs. Average speeds over 20 mph, with pace on the flats reaching 30 mph at times. Not a social ride. Study the route map, as people get dropped at various points during these rides.
Class B – Intermediate (No Drop): average speed in the 16-18mph range. Challenging route around Indian Hills, but lower speeds and ride will wait for stragglers. More of a social ride.
Class C – Beginner: average speeds in the 10-14 range. All riders allowed. No drop. Beginner-friendly.
Tips for New Group Ride Participants:
- Be Prompt. Group ride times listed are roll-out times. Try and arrive at least 15 min early in order to prepare for ride.
- Study the Map. If a map of the ride course is available – check it out. It helps to know when the more challenging sections are coming up. Save a little energy for the hilly sections.
- Be Prepared. Have enough fluids and food to get you through the ride. Make sure your bike is tuned up and ready, and that you have an emergency kit with spare tube, air, and tools.
- Bring safety lights. Oftentimes rides wind up going a bit later than expected, or run through some weather. Blinking lights will make the group more visible to car traffic.
- If you’re not sure what to do, hang back in the group and watch.
Begins August 2015 through October 2015
Wednesdays // 5:30pm // Kingswood Park // August – mid-September
Cyclocross time trials – great practice for the upcoming OVCX series http://www.ovcx.com/. Kingswood Park in Mason, Ohio. Please contact Mitch at the shop at 513.861.2453 (BIKE) if you have any questions.